Saturday, August 18, 2012

What's the rush?

So Sunshine came home from her first day of school with the promise of a birthday party invitation.  As I sat on the bench at the path (there's a paved path leading down the hill from behind Sunshine's school that leads down to a road where you can avoid all the car line traffic.  Most days anyway), the little girl told me that her mom would be calling me to invite Sunshine to her 8th birthday party and that it would be a swim party.

The next day the call came and I told her that Sunshine would love to attend and was looking forward to Saturday.

Fast forward to Friday after school when I realized that the party was less than 24 hours away and we still hadn't picked up a present.  Ask we were driving to Target, I asked Sunshine what did she think would be a good gift for L.  "Hmmm, how 'bout a Barbie?" she said.  Why wouldn't she?  She's 8, loves Barbies and really, who knows what 8 year old girls want other than an 8 year old girl herself?

You would be wrong.  I called L's mom to see what would be a good gift.  Sunshine & L are friends but not super besties.  I was told no Barbies, no princess anything, no Hello Kitty.  She went on to explain that L has 2 older sisters (12 & 14) and is into, wait for it-----make up & nail polish.  

Maybe she heard me drop the phone, maybe she heard what I thought was a barely audible gasp, maybe I really didn't drop the phone or gasp out loud.  But in my head I did.

Make up?  She's EIGHT!  I'm not saying that Sunshine isn't allowed a little lip gloss or some shimmer powder on special occasions and we're all about the occasional mani/pedi, but she's certainly not into MAKE UP at EIGHT years old!

Her mom went on to add that she did love drawing and crafts. . .maybe I did drop the phone & gasp?  I thanked her and explained to Sunshine that a Barbie for L wouldn't be a good idea.  Her reaction?  "Maybe I won't go to the party after all"  I explained to her that it was okay if she went since we had already RSVP'd and that it was okay if she & L didn't have the same interests.  And I told her that I was glad she was still into dolls.

But come on, make up??

After we picked out a suitable gift we met some friends at the pool for a swim.  As we were leaving, the family of another girl in Sunshine's class were getting there.  Sunshine and E have been in the same class for 3 years now.  She's a nice little girl---she's smart, she's respectful, and is just an all around good kid.  Same goes for her older and younger sisters.  The mom and I have exchanged pleasantries for 3 years but really haven't talked at length.  Until yesterday as we were leaving the pool.

She asked if Sunshine was going to the party and how was I handling it.  It's a drop off party.  And it's also a party for the 12 year old sister's soccer team.  E's mom had the same concerns as I did---drop off party for 2 different events.  A lot of people.  People we didn't know.  And what was up with the make up??  She said that E was still into dolls and more traditional little girl things.

I breathed a sigh of relief and told her that Sunshine was too.  She made me feel better that Sunshine hasn't outgrown her dolls and moved into serious tween/teenhood.  When she said "why would you ever encourage your 8 year old to grow up so fast?"  She has older kids (11 year old daughter who is a sweet girl and a 13 year old son), she knows the middle school kids.  And she's exactly right.  Why do we encourage our little girls to be big girls so soon??  And then complain that teenage girls dress/act so provocatively.  

There'll be plenty of time for make up, nail polish and the like.  Childhood is all too short and I, for one, am encouraging Sunshine to be a little girl for a long time!

3 comments:

  1. I agree. Why do people want kids to grow up so fast? (I think for some it it so they can get on with their own lives and not be bothered) My daughter Allison's birthday was yesterday and from my blog you can see I still think of her as my little girl even thought she is the mother of my two granddaughters. There is plenty of time to be grown up, we should cherish the young child times. Too soon they will be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't get it. I'm not saying your daughter HAS to play with dolls, but don't rush them out of childhood. Let them enjoy being a child for as long as they can.

    From what I've seen, this doesn't just apply to girls---I've heard 6 year old boys talk about playing Call of Duty & video games like that with adults only or PG13 ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What's the rush, indeed? They are still LITTLE GIRLS. OK, fine, she doesn't like Barbie and Hello Kitty, but she should have someone telling her, "Your sisters are OLDER than you are, and when you are THEIR age, THEN you can wear makeup."

    Period.

    Speaking of periods... tell her, "When you get your period, THEN you can wear makeup." Or whatever. Something... Geesh.

    ReplyDelete