Saturday, January 9, 2010

What a crazy week!

If the past week was any indication of what 2010 will be like then stop the train, I want to get off!

It started with Sunshine getting sick at our friends house on New Year's Eve. Standard tummy bug stuff that lasted into Friday afternoon. By Saturday she had recovered & was back to her normal giggly self. Sunday afternoon was a different story. She got an ice cream while we were out running errands (Dutch chocolate w/ m & m's mixed in and a waffle cone with rainbow sprinkles). She didn't want to finish it & gave half to Hunter. Sunshine not finishing her ice cream is like me not buying Koigu KPPPM. By Sunday evening we were convinced something was up---she didn't want any supper & went to bed complaining of back & tummy pain. Off to the ER we went. 3 1/2 hours later we discovered that a UTI was to blame. We're on day 6 out of 10 on Bactrim.

On Tuesday, Hunter woke up with a tummy bug. He managed to go into work for about an hour and a half before coming home to get in bed, where he spent the rest of the day. He got up around dinnertime & seriously was greenish gray looking. Not good. Luckily, one of our friends (the same one whose house Sunshine was sick at) was able to come over to sit w/ her (she was sleeping) while I took Hunter to the ER. In 6 hours he had 2 liters of IV fluids, zofran, phenergan, morphine (for stomach pain) & an abdominal series of Xrays. The diagnosis was gastroenteritis. They were about to start a 3rd bag of fluids when Hunter told them he'd be fine going home w/ anti-nausea meds & promised to continue to push fluids. He was confined to quarters (day home from work) for 24 hrs & is on the mend.

On Thursday I dropped Sunshine off at school, Hunter went back to work & after a little Farmville on FB, I started cleaning the bathroom from top to bottom. I had lunch later than normal & felt a little wobbly when I went to pick up Sunshine at school. I figured it was my blood sugar b/c of the late lunch. A half hour after we got home I realized I was sick. An hour after that I was in bed & was miserable for the next 12 hours. Stomach bugs are no fun but when you're diabetic, it can be dangerous. Pedialyte pops are my new best friends.

I spent Friday in bed, watching movies, napping & trying to feel better. Today I'm still not 100% but I feel a lot better than I did on Thursday!

So, 2010, in your first week you've had all of us sick. Let's try for a kinder, gentler 2nd week, shall we???

4 comments:

  1. Yikes, that sounds awful. I hope you will all be feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow!! You guys have really had it. I just finished 10 days of antibiotic for a kidney infection ( after a trip to the ER). Hope everybody is feeling better now. Have thought of you guys a lot and wondered if you had snow. It was 15 here this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That stinks. We had a similar bug go through our house last January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing is worse than mommy being sick! I hope the sickies stay away for a LONG time!

    ReplyDelete