Friday, February 5, 2010

Now caffeine free!

Seriously. I gave up caffeine. I was never one of those 6 cups of coffee a day people, nor was I one of those "don't talk to me until I've had caffeine" people, but I was one of those people who needed caffeine in some form to stave off the headaches.

I used to start off my day with breakfast & a nice cold Diet Coke. If I went out to lunch or dinner, I'd have a soda. If it was a nice restaurant, I'd have coffee after my meal. Years ago ('92? '91?) I tried to give up caffeine with no success. By 2pm the headaches would kick in & I would be miserable.

So, fast forward to January when all of us were sick with a tummy bug. I didn't drink any Diet Coke for a couple days when I was sick. When I finally did, it didn't taste "right" to me. One morning, I overslept & had to rush to get Sunshine to school. It was around 130 when I realized I hadn't had any caffeine. I'd been drinking my usual ice water w/ a splash of lemon all day. Hmmmm. No caffeine + lots of water=no headaches? I was onto something! The rest of the week I drank my ice water with a splash & guess what? I survived! I told myself that if I made it until Feb. 1st, I could have a "treat" of a diet coke. On Feb 2nd we had a play date at McDonald's for early release day from school. I also hadn't had any fast food all month. My cheeseburger was good, fries were eh, & the Diet Coke was eh as well. I think my next treat will be Starbucks. I wonder if they can do a caffeine free iced caramel macchiato?

On the knitting front, I'm still plugging along on my Small Shawl. I'm amazed by people's reactions to it. It's a very simple pattern but everyone loves it. Maybe it's the yarn? Fiesta Rayon Boucle in "Alaska" Lots of blue, purple & greens. Pretty.

Sunshine has Winter Break next week (11th-15th) & will have her Valentine's Party on the 10th. I need to get my needles flying on some washcloths for her teacher & aide. I'm going to pair them up with a shower gel & body lotion.

Hope those of you getting snow are staying warm & enjoying it! We're getting nothing but rain, rain, rain. Feel free to box up a foot or two & ship it down here!

1 comment:

  1. I have just gone through the same thing. When I had my kidney infection in January they told me no caffeine and when I was well only decaf. I guess fortunately I was taking so much pain medication that I had no trouble not drinking caffeine. Now that I am better the only thing I have is my morning coffee, decaf of course. I was a real Diet Coke freak but no more. I don't want to go through all that pain again. Glad you all are doing better.

    ReplyDelete