Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Waving overseas

I recently discovered the Stats header on my blog's dashboard & have to admit, it's kind of fun to look at. It tells you what posts people are looking at, how they arrived at your blog, and where they're from. Big Brother at it's finest!

While the majority of my readers, this month, are from the US, there is a good number from Canada as well. Love you, Great White North! I've also had a fair amount of hits from around the world---check it out:



Romania
14

Afghanistan
4


New Zealand
2

Russia
2

Denmark
1

Spain
1

United Kingdom
1

Netherlands
1




Interesting, n'est ce pas?


While today is the first day of fall, you'd never know it. Our high is going to be 96. Again. The leaves are slowly starting to change but it's still so disgustingly hot that it really doesn't seem like fall. I'm craving those crisp fall days where you're able to wear jeans & a sweater, maybe a scarf. My shorts, skirts & t's are begging to go into hibernation but they can't yet. The other day I was looking at clothes for Sunshine in a desperate attempt to find a new dress for picture day. I left empty handed as the stores are getting fall/winter merchandise in and while we're ready to wear these things, Mother Nature just won't let us. Can't we please have a high of 70? 75? Please?

And while I'm on the topic of clothes for girls---what is with some of these stores? You have a baby girl & everything is pink, girly & cute. When they're a toddler, things are still cute. You may find some pants that are low rise (because it's cool to see pull ups/undies sticking out the top of a 3 yr old's waistband), but by & large, things are appropriate. Then, when she reaches a size 7, BAM! Everything changes. Cute clothes are replaced by what I call "junior hoochie-wear". I get that little girls want to dress like the bigger girls, but good grief, can we remember that we're dressing small children here? I don't want Sunshine running around with low rise jeans. I know I'm not alone in my frustration---several of my friends have commented on this as well. I was bummed when Sunshine grew out of shopping at Carter's. Their clothes are cute & appealed to Sunshine (who at age 4 started choosing her own clothes in stores. I'm fearing the teen years!), as well as to me & my pocketbook. I knew that spring/summer things that fit in March would most likely be worn well into early fall & with any luck would fit the following March if only for a few weeks. And that they wouldn't be worn looking so that I could consign them (Columbus moms---check out the Just4kidz consignment!).

Back to my initial shopping rant--is it too much to ask that we not dress our daughters like hoochies? Do 7 year olds need heels for daily wear? Do we need to see Little Mermaid or Hanna Montana undies peeking out of the top of a pair of skinny jeans? What happened to letting children stay children for a while? The tween years come along too quickly as it is, can't we do pink dresses & hair bows for as long as possible? The old Carter's jingle comes to mind---if they could just stay little 'til their Carter's wear out.

I am off to make cookies for the snack as today is Sunshine's teacher's birthday. Happy Wednesday everyone!

5 comments:

  1. There's a part of me that is glad I have a boy to dress. Hank is good to go in gym shorts and tee shirts. We don't have to worry about low-rise jeans, and skimpy shirts.
    You're a great shopper. You'll be able to find Sunshine cute stuff to wear.
    It's hot here, too. It was 98 yesterday. I'm ready for long sleeve tees and jeans. Happy Fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with youe about the hoocie mama clothes for little girls. I am glad I had a boy. It has been in the 90s here in Michigan as well so don't feel so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prosti-TOT. That's the term that I was introduced to as I lamented the lack of cute, stylish, non hooker-like clothes for my girls.

    I have picked up a few tricks along the way...
    Buy boys' shorts. They are longer in the rise and the legs. Neutral coloured shorts with a cute, feminine, conservative top like a polo (Gymboree outlet for these) look awesome.
    When you find a pair of appropriate jeans or pants, buy them in several sizes. While rises and styles do change, if they're plain enough, a good pair of jeans is timeless.
    Stick with Childrens Place or Gymboree, especially if you have access to outlets.

    And know that I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb--we've had luck @ Gymboree & Osh Kosh this season. Children's Place doesn't appeal to her. And honestly, their graphic prints don't do it for me either.

    I used to be able to buy the next size up for seasons, but haven't lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain. I have three daughters, and I remember when they got into the sizes bigger than 6x I was appalled at the stuff in the stores.

    My girls are a little tomboyish so we just shopped in the boys section for shorts and sweatpants. Fortunately our public schools here require uniforms, so that makes it easier. Now my 13 year old is in women's clothes, and her 10 year old sisters are at the upper end of the kids' sizes.

    Good suggestions in the previous comments. Land's End is another good source for girls' clothes.

    ReplyDelete