Saturday, March 17, 2012

Could you be more rude?

Back 5 or 6 years ago I joined a KAL group on Yahoo.  I joined a couple actually, a dishcloth group & a felted bag group.  As my love of felted bags waned, so did my activity in the group.  But I hung around the dishcloth group.  We'd do two dishcloths a month--usually a picture cloth at the beginning (knit over the span of 5 or 6 days) & then a technique cloth at the middle.  We did swaps, chatted a bunch & there was just a nice comradery.  When I found my knitting at a standstill, I'd go back & pick up whatever cloth was going on and get my mojo back.  It worked more than once!

Last summer it worked yet again.  Knitting a couple dishcloths helped kick start my knitting.  This year, I decided that I would knit all the dishcloths, that they'd be white & decided they'd be great for my Mom at Christmas as she always plays the "DO NOT buy me a gift!" card.  Oh, and let me add that my recommendation of the group was enough for the Super Bookatarian to join.

I was saddened to notice that the tone of the board had changed.  No superfluous chatting.  DON'T mention Ravelry!  Which really makes no sense as there is a group for this KAL group on Ravelry.  And lately the moderator is cranky.  Really cranky---like snaps at people.

Now, before you think I'm being childish or petty, let me explain.  Patterns are given out in roughly 10 row increments over the span of 5 days.  We're given direction on what size needles work best for the particular pattern, what color yarn, and any explanation of stitches that may be new or confusing.  There are all skill levels in this group---beginners to advanced.  While you & I may know that YO = "yarn over" there are people who don't.  And some of them may not be super familiar with google or knittinghelp.com or even that you can find knitting help on youtube.  Personally, I don't mind a little extra direction at the beginning if there's a tricky stitch coming up ahead.

So, the other day we receive Day 1's rows of knitting along with the suggestion of size 6 needles (I always use 7s), a light color yarn (I'm using a pale blue/white varigated) and he explanation that YO=Yarn Over & TOG=together.  Okay fine---I know these things and proceed to CO (=cast on) my 32 stitches.

A the end of my 5th row I realize my stitch count is off.  At the end of my 7th row I realize something is rotten in Columbus and rip out my knitting.  On my 2nd attempt the same thing happens.  So, I contact Super Bookatarian and get the explanation that (K1 YO K1) in next stitch means you knit the first stitch, don't remove it from the left hand needle, YO & knit into the back of that stitch therefore making 3 stitches out of 1.   I know increases but this one was new to me.  And apparently it was new to at least half a dozen other people on the group as there were several questions regarding this stitch.

I'm as much a fan of good snark as the next person, but the tone of the moderator in replying to these comments?  Seriously?  "Folks. .  "  Typing things in all caps.  This is a KNITTING group, we're not solving the world hunger problem, we're not splitting the atom.  This is supposed to be fun.  I don't need to be chastised.

I know moderating an online group is a huge time commitment---I've done so on Yahoo and also on FB for our PTA.  I know people have their own crosses to bear in life---I've got my own.  But seriously, a little courtesy and LESS CAPS would be nice.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a member of the same group and know what you mean. I have pretty much quit reading the messages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristyn~ Glad to know it's not just me!

    ReplyDelete