Friday, July 20, 2012

Christmas in July

Please note that it's 5:47pm on Friday, 20 July 2012 & I am wrapping Christmas presents.  

Sunshine is all gung ho American Girl.  Especially Felicity & Elizabeth, both of whom are retired, I beg your pardon, archived

Archived is fancy speak for "no longer sold in stores or on our website therefore you must pay ridiculous secondary market prices for these items."  But this year I learned something interesting.  There's a "summer slump" on ebay.  Makes sense---people are away on vacation or enjoying more time out of doors with their families to sit home & scour the internet for goodies.

This has paid off to my advantage, as you can tell.  I've managed to scratch 5 retired, nay archived items off of her wish list.  And at very.reasonable prices.  So, this afternoon I'm wrapping these gifts in anticipation of being able to ship them off to VT prior to the holiday season.  One of her presents (Kit's bed) is already up there, only with the old bedding.  Hence the box with the new bedding.  Luckily that won't have to be wrapped as Santa doesn't wrap at our house.  Or at Memere's.

You might be asking yourself why do I have Christmas presents in my living room.  In broad day light.  While we were in VA visiting his family, Hunter decided he'd like to go back up to help out with his dad whose health isn't great.  Sunshine decided (the day before he left) that she'd like to go up too & spend some time w/ Grandma & Pappa.  So, it's Risky Business 2012 here.  Sunglasses, button down shirt, dancing in my foyer & in front of the fireplace.  You know, the usual.

I'm enjoying getting things done & having my quiet time but I miss my little family.  Hunter & I have spent so much time apart in our marriage that I find myself falling into my old deployment routines of staying up too late & sleeping in.  But I've only ever been away from my sweet Sunshine when we went to Paris a few years back.  And I've never been alone in this house.  It's weird looking toward her side of the house & seeing her bed still perfectly made, toys on the floor but no pitter patter of her feet or the squeal of her giggle.  *sigh*  Luckily they'll be home in a couple days & I can get hugs!

This weekend I've got plans with some girlfriends which should be fun.  Yesterday, I met up with the Uber Bookatarian to do some knitting & then was joined by another friend to go to Opelika to an antique mall & then to World Market.  Great day & I was completely wiped out when I got home!

Have a great weekend & promise not to laugh at me 5 months from now when I'm scrambling around trying to find Sunshine's Christmas presents that I wrapped today!

2 comments:

  1. I make a list of where I hide the presents. Otherwise, I'd be scrambling around Christmas morning, finding things I've realized that haven't unwrapped yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the pups to keep you company, right? I bet they miss them, too.

    ReplyDelete