Monday, August 30, 2010

New projects

Sadly none of them are knitting.

When Sunshine was a baby I saw this doll house book case in the Pottery Barn kids catalog. So overpriced but so cute. Hunter started this in the spring & got it finished (with help on the painting from Sunshine) in late May. Here's how it looked when it was finished & now as it's being used.







It's a home away from home for Sunshine's dolls. The Barbie townhouse is in her room so her dolls "travel" to the dining room to visit this house.
















Our next project is to repair some damage that was done to Hunter's grandparents china cabinet. Luckily, it's just on the right hand corner of the top of the bottom but will require removal of some paint, sanding & refinishing. I love this piece & am excited how well it coordinates with our kitchen table & chairs.

The dining room is our last room to be updated. If you look at the first pic of the doll house book case you can see striped wallpaper below the chair rail, as well as a border above it. We're in the process of removing the border & wall paper and will paint the walls a similar burgundy. I think *wink*. I keep thinking that I'm going to repaint the living room & might use the same color in the dining room.

Hopefully we'll be putting hardwood flooring in the dining room, use it as a dining room & use the breakfast nook as an office area.

And lastly, I'm on a quest for the perfect tv/media stand. Hunter got our tv mounted on the wall so the tv stand we'd been using is suddenly too small & out of proportion. I found one at pier 1 that I liked but Hunter doesn't share my love. It's more money than I'd like to spend so I'm scouring all the thrift/antique stores in town in hopes of finding something that we can refinish. The Bassett sideboard that I bought last Christmas @ Gina's junk & thrift store (so totally the best kept secret for amazing pieces of furniture) has been refinished & looks great. I'm hoping to find something equally as awesome for below the tv.

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to put all your Polish Pottery in the china cabinet? That would be pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, that's an idea. I could buy new daily dishes & put the PP in there! I was planning on putting either my china or Hunter's grandparents stuff (Royal Doulton Larchmont) that will be Sunshine's when she's older.

    ReplyDelete