Sunday, July 24, 2011

The big wind down

of summer vacation, that is.  
School lets out early in Georgia (3rd week of May) & starts early as well (first full week of August).  As parents, we've discussed why don't they go back in September but that would mean getting out in June.  Which is incredibly hot.  And really, September is still hot. It's hot in August.  And hot in April.  Truth be told, it's hot here more than 6 months of the year.  Have I mentioned how much I love Fall & Winter?  And how I feel cheated every year when our "fall" lasts a week?  We're the family who pray for snow in the winter.  

So, we're gearing up for the new school year.  Just a few more things & Sunshine's school supply list will be complete.  I bought her new backpack & lunch box back in June when PB Kids was running a sale on them.  They are way too cute. We've gone through her closet to see what still fits & what we need to buy for the beginning of school.  When we were driving to VT, we stopped at the Bass outlet & picked up a cute pair of school shoes as well as gold (GOLD!!!!) boat shoes for when it turns a little cooler & she's able to wear jeans & a sweater without having heat stroke.  Did I mention they're GOLD?  And did I mention that I got a pair in my size?  GOLD BOAT SHOES, PEOPLE!  For when it turns a little cooler & I can wear jeans & a sweater without having heat stroke.  Oh, won't those shoes be too cute at PTA meetings??!! 

Speaking of PTA, we've had our first meeting & have some new parents who are very excited to get involved, which is great.  I won't have a Co-Chair this year, which is fine.  My old Co's husband was offered a job in the Orlando area (jealous!!! But only for the proximity to Disney & the Gulf Coast/Anna Maria Island) so off they went.  I'm also jealous of their gorgeous new home!  

Our PTA's FB group is totally up & running as well.  Lots of interest & hopefully it continues throughout the year.  I know people who think FB is the devil & nothing good can come from it, but I think it'a medium that can be used for good.  And not just Farmville type good.  We're able to get information to parents quickly & hopefully get even more people involved with our school.  Our PTA is great--very active & lots of volunteers, but no matter how many people you have who are willing to help, it never seems like it's enough.  

Speaking of volunteers, I've got to email our Partners in Education to see if I can get some of them to volunteer at our first Book Fair in September.  Again, it's never enough no matter how many people you have.  Especially on the day we set up!  And I need to contact the Coca Cola Space Science Center downtown to see what we can do with them as the Book Fair this fall has a space theme.  Yes, I'll take pictures if things go well!

So, as summer winds down, we're enjoying the pool, sleeping in & are planning an Atlanta trip for some back to school shopping & a trip to the zoo.  As long as it isn't too hot.   Maybe we'll go in November.

Have a wonderful week & hopefully things aren't melting in your part of the country!

2 comments:

  1. This is the last full week of summer vacation here. The boys start school next Wednesday. I feel like summer just started!

    I can't wait to see pics of the GOLD boat shoes! They'll look awesome at your PTA meetings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that so crazy? We used to go back after Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete