Sunday, July 31, 2011

Dear Barack Obama,

CC:  Harry Reid, John Boehner, members of Congress


I suppose this doesn't make sense to you as you get paid no matter what.  Congress automatically gets pay raises & really, there's never been a President of the United States who has refused his pay during his time in office.  Members of the military (and other federal employees) don't have that luxury.  They do a lot of work for very little pay.  The military especially.  When was the last time any of you spent 12 months in a combat zone for less than 60k?  Yes, I understand many of you are retired military & I thank you for your service.  But you're not living on that retirement salary now, are you?

Some military families (like mine) are.
And we rely on that salary for our mortgage, car payment, groceries, general cost of living.  I'm not including fun stuff like vacations---we save for those & avoid using credit cards at all costs.  But my husband's retirement & SSDI pay?  Everything to us.

As the wife of a combat veteran, I've known my fair share of anguish & angst.  I know what it's like to wake up fearing what the day might bring based on where he was.  But, I have NEVER woken up consistently with the fear of where our money is going to come from like I have in the past 12 months.  What gives?  I believe that my husband served with honor & fulfilled HIS obligations to serve.  Swore to support & defend the Constitution, obey the orders of the President, etc.  And while you didn't return him in the exact same condition as when he left us, I'm okay with that.  Sort of.  I don't really blame you.

But.

I do blame you for the worrying & fretting that's going on in my house.  I blame you for  not getting your heads out of your you-know-whats & working together.  I blame you for making our country look like a bunch of willy nilly spendthrifts.  And I'm going to blame you come election day.   Forgive & forget isn't an option when it comes to my (and my family's) standard of living.  And when it comes to me worrying.  Because I can do that all on my own, thankyouverymuch.

So get your acts together, get money to the people who so deserve it & don't forget, Nov. 2012 is just around the corner.

1 comment: