Friday, February 10, 2012

Simple things

Yesterday at Book Fair, I had the most amazing experience.  There is a little boy in one of our Kindergarten classes who is blind.  His cane is taller than he is. He has a full time aide who works with him.  There are people who look at him with pity in their eyes.  I admit to saying a little prayer, thanking God for the gift of my sight, my daughter's & those whom I love, when I see him.

Several months ago, I sat on a committee as the PTA Representative.  We read essays from various students who would represent our school as a Georgia Reader.  This boy was chosen as our K-2 representative.  My interaction with him had been limited to passing him in the hall or seeing him in the library.

Yesterday he & his aide came in to look at books that she would turn into Braille books for him.  We watched in  awe as his little hands touched & worked over the pop up books & how Miss Lisa would explain what he was touching.  It was like watching a sculptor create something beautiful from a lump of nothing.

They made their selections & Miss Lisa told him to sit with us while she went back to his classroom to get his backpack as it was almost dismissal time.  He regaled us with stories much the same way any 5 year old would.  Full of silliness & giggles.  The library aide brought over some of his Braille books---again, his little hands flew over the bumps on the page as he began to tell us about the book he was reading.  And as he read, a light came over his sweet little face.   The joy on his face was palpable---suddenly everyone in the Book Fair was smiling too.  Then he began to giggle.  I've heard plenty of children giggle.  The sound of my daughter's laugh always brings a smile to my face.  How could it not?

But the giggles of this little boy yesterday?  It's a sound I'll not soon forget!

1 comment: