Monday, January 7, 2013

One Week Down

Phew, it's nice to be home.  After two weeks of being gone, 2520 miles driven (give or take--Columbus to Virginia to Vermont to Virginia, to the ILS in VA & back home), packing & unpacking the car, gah--I'm tired reading about it, much less living it.

I'm always nervous when I return home from a long road trip---I worry about whether the house will still be standing.  Seriously.  The last thing I do when leaving is to set the house alarm.  And say a prayer as the garage door goes back down.  I'm a worrier by nature, but you knew that.  We always leave a key & the alarm code with a neighbor.  And we let a couple other neighbors know that we're going & when we'll be back, but still.  I worry like some people breathe.

Our house was fine & in the same condition in which we left.  When we got home on Friday (Hunter in his car, Sunshine & I in mine--ouch the money we spent on gas!), we were beyond tired so there wasn't much done in the way of unpacking.  Saturday morning, I went grocery shopping & did several loads of laundry.  Until I started hearing a gurgling sound coming from the kitchen sink while the washer was running.  Kind of odd.  Then the tubs backed up.  And it was stinky.  It was at that point Hunter called our home warranty company & was told a plumber would contact us.

Home warranty company lied, people!  The plumber didn't contact us.  Several hours & several phone calls later, we discovered the plumber they called wouldn't be coming until Sunday morning.  Oh.So.Frustrating.

Fortunately, he came, the problem was fixed & we were back on track with laundry but added the fun task of bleaching the tubs, sinks & showers.  Ugh!

So, here we are, enjoying the last few days before Christmas Break is over & Sunshine goes back to school.   I sort of feel bad for Hunter & Sunshine as I'm in full on Spring Cleaning/purge mode.  Today I went through the sideboard in the dining room & the one in the living room.  Tomorrow's cleaning plan is to reclaim the coffee table in the living room from the Legos & other small toys that have invaded.  And cleaning up the dining room.  And running clothes to GoodWill.

Tonight's dinner was Chinese takeout.  My first fortune of the year?    Life to you is a dashing & bold adventure.

Well played, fortune cookie, well played!


4 comments:

  1. Ugh. What a drag.

    when you said they lied, I thought you were going to say your issue wasn't covered under the warranty. That was the case with our house. They always had a loophole so we wound up paying for everything out of pocket, so we didn't renew when the 12 months were up.

    glad you're all back on track now, though. Stil.... ugh. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They pulled that when we had a water main burst. It wasn't covered because it was outside the house. We haven't called them in a couple years & *knock wood* won't be calling again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also worry about our house when on vacation. I take a deep breath when pull into the parking lot.

    ReplyDelete