Friday, November 26, 2010

No Black Friday here


I refuse to shop on Black Friday ---the entire weekend actually. Do I really need to be in a store at 3 am with $3 jeans in my hand? Do I need to be another store at 4 am with a 40" tv in my cart for whatever discounted price? I think not. My place at those times is home, in my snuggly bed. And that's where the employees of these stores belong. Sleeping in their cozy beds, memories of Thanksgiving in their head & getting a good night's sleep before they have to be at work, at a decent NORMAL hour.

My last year working Black Friday was in '02. Hunter had come home from 6 months in Kuwait that Monday, we spent Thanksgiving with his aunt in ATL and drove home that night so I could be at work at 6 am. We figured parking would be a nightmare so he drove me in at 530. Lines were wrapped around the mall. I got into work & got ready for my day. There are no crazy deals in cosmetics as their prices are regulated. There may be a gift with purchase or a value set, but no one's going to be running around with a 3.4oz bottle of Chanel No.5 that they scored for $25. And in my case, there's not going to be anyone who wanted a makeup lesson at 615am. The desire to learn how to do a smokey eye just isn't there before sun up.

I admit to doing some Black Friday shopping online last year. Amazon ran a crazy 2 day deal on the Barbie Town House. It was too good of a deal to pass up & I knew Sunshine would go nuts when she saw it. (she did!) But going into a store? Nope. If anything I'd go in with a black armband around my arm & would tell the employees that I feel their pain. So, if you're doing some shopping this weekend, or holiday season at all, remember the poor souls working the registers so you can achieve your holiday goals. Yes, it's their job, but they're seriously abused.

Our plans for today are to put away the Thanksgiving decorations --done as Sunshine is seriously motivated to decorate for Christmas. Get out the Christmas dishes to use as our daily dishes until after New Year's. And to go see Tangled this afternoon with some friends. We've already bought our tickets on Fandango and are hoping to get there early enough so all 7 of us can sit together.

Tomorrow we're going to decorate the living room & put up Sunshine's tree. Sunday, our tree will go up. I want to put up some sort of decoration outside, but I'm not sure what---a lit wreath on the big window in the dining room maybe? And I need to add some cereal bowls to my collection of Spode Christmas Tree---but I'll wait until Monday to go looking for them. Wouldn't want to break my own boycott of Black Friday shopping!

1 comment:

  1. Ick, me either. I don't leave the house on Black Friday. People are too mean and it's just not worth subjecting myself to it. We're watching the Iron Bowl (Alabama vs. Auburn High School apparently) and putting up the Christmas decorations tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete