Sunday, November 21, 2010

Remembering the "good ol' days"


Do you look back at times gone by & remember the "good ol' days"? Times spent with family that are long gone? We spent every Sunday evening with my Memere & Pepere (the couple at the center of the group). A lot of times we'd spend afternoons at their house playing. I grew up as the youngest of 22 grandchildren on my mom's side--there was always someone to play with, bother or just to tag alone. All but 3 cousins lived locally which made for fun times. When my Aunt Gert (brunette in the front w/ her husband's arm around her shoulder) & I used to talk in the last couple years before she died, she would tell me that she always looked back on the time spent with our family at Memere & Pepere's as truly the best days of her life. I have to agree.

This picture was taken in 1961 at my grandparents 40th wedding anniversary 8 of the 22 grandchildren were yet to be born (myself included, obviously). Everyone looks so young & if I try, I can hear everyone's voice. I can hear my Aunt Gert & Uncle Louie's (back row, 6th from the left) distinctive laughs. I can hear my Memere's French accent. My Dad was a master story & joke teller. I'm willing to bet he & my Uncle Eddie (far right in the front, drink in hand). were trading stories & jokes all evening.

Seven people out of this picture have passed & I miss them. My Daddy, Memere, Pepere & Aunt Gert in particular. I wish my Memere & Pepere had been able to meet Sunshine---I know they would have loved her sunny disposition & sense of humor.

So, as the holiday season is starting, take a minute to focus on what it is really about---family. Savor each moment with those you love as they leave us far too quickly.


*Editing to addthat my Uncle Eddie passed away on Sunday 28 Nov. And then, there were 6.

1 comment: