Monday, December 10, 2012

Counting Down To Friday

There's this mantra in my head. . .if I make it to Friday.  If I make it to Friday, everything will be okay.

I'm not just riding the crazy train this week, I'm the engineer.    Or the porter, at the very least.

It started this past Friday.  I was getting ready to go up to school to decorate 90 some odd shirts with the 3rd graders for the Christmas Show which is this Thursday.  The PTA president calls me in a tizzy asking if I've heard that the music teacher has changed the costumes.

For the 3rd graders, the costumes are these shirts.  You know, that we're decorating in 2 hours.  Yeah, those.

Costume change.  Without letting us know.

Our music teacher is a really nice man.  The kids love him & he always does a great show, be it the Christmas Show, a presentation by the school chorus or a grade level performance at one of our PTA meetings.

That being said, he definitely marches to the beat of his own drum and doesn't share the OCD that those of us on the PTA board have.   The President & I approached him in early November about committing to a costume for the kids.  Her son and Sunshine are in this show as is the Secretary's daughter & another chair person's daughter.  We have a vested interest in this.  He agrees on the shirts which will be decorated.  We run with this--we wend home a letter asking parents to send in $5 for a long sleeve t shirt & holy cow, they sent in the money!  This doesn't happen all the time so it's clearly a Christmas miracle..  We order the shirts, they come in & we're going to decorate.

Do you get how pressing the decorating is??

So, he wants them to wear different costumes.  I fully admit to throwing a nutty & emailing  the principal, the 3rd grade teachers & the other PTA board members about how this simply CANNOT happen.  People, I ranted, I raved & yes, I threw a nutty.  As my husband says, my motto is "there is no reaction like an over-reaction"---in this case, it was warranted.

By 1030 I'm at school, with fabric paint, with 90 some odd shirts & all the other paraphernalia needed to decorate the shirts.  Somewhere around 1115, one of the teachers comes out into the hallway to ask if I've read my email as the principal has replied & is backing us up.

Don't make me pull a nutty!  I will win.

I leave school somewhere around 1230 to meet Hunter for lunch.  He's spending the next 2 weeks in VA with his family as his father is starting another round of chemo & has asked that Hunter shuttle him around.  One of the things I love about him (Hunter) is his devotion to his family & his compassionate nature.  I know some of it is the medic in him but a lot of it is just who he is.

We went back to school to set up Secret Santa Shop (SSS).  I got home at 5 & was totally exhausted.  Sadly, Sunshine's elf had left a challenge for her on Sunday---if she did her homework when she was supposed to & with out fuss, listened to us & did what she was asked, when she was asked & if she picked up her toys when asked, she'd get a prize on Friday.   Well, my little goal oriented child did all three things & was rewarded with a trip to the National Infantry Museum to see The Polar Express at their IMAX theater that night.  We went to dinner & then to the 7:15 show.  I wasn't able to sleep during the movie because I was too busy boo-hooing over the fact that like Hero Boy, Sunshine is on the cusp of not believing anymore.  She has a sleigh bell that we gave her when she was 3 & first saw the movie.  She'll shake it & tell me that she hears it ring & do I hear it ring??  But she's almost 9---it's coming.

Saturday we pulled off our Small Business Saturday/Craft Fair event but it was very eh.  We were in competition with a parade downtown & a festival at a local antique/junk shop.  Next year, we're planning on doing it in November.

Sunday was spent doing laundry & helping Hunter to pack.

Which brings us to today.   We finished the last class' t shirts & then I ran to Hobby Lobby for some AG sized ceramic pots to go with Kit's Cookstove for Sunshine.  To be truthful, I'm not even sure when we're giving this to her.  Valentine's maybe? Or her birthday.

We're full gear on SSS this week.  The PTA Secretary & another mom are running it which was a tremendous help.  They both ran it at their old schools so we're doing some things differently this year---everything being wrapped for instance.  Our only concern is that they don't have enough items.  The VP & I are a little worried but if they wind up having to buy more stuff, so be it.

I'm working the SSS on Tuesday & Wednesday, all day.   Should be interesting.  And then, Thursday night is the Christmas Show.  See why I'm holding out for Friday?

It is coming, right??

No comments:

Post a Comment