Saturday, December 15, 2012

Responsibility



re·spon·si·bil·i·ty

 

[ri-spon-suh-bil-i-tee]
noun, plural re·spon·si·bil·i·ties.
1.
the state or fact of being responsible.
2.
an instance of being responsibleThe responsibility for this mess is yours!
3.
a particular burden of obligation upon one who is responsiblethe responsibilities of authority.
4.
a person or thing for which one is responsibleA child is a responsibility to its parents.
5.
reliability or dependability, especially in meeting debts or payments. 




There are times when being responsible stinks.  Hunter's father is sick, again.  We live several states away & I know that at times it bothers Hunter that he isn't there to help out more.  He does what he can when we visit but I know his sense of responsibility kicks in & goes into overdrive when he hears about things not going smoothly for them.

Like now.

His dad is going through another round of chemo & asked if Hunter would go up there to help out.  Of course, he said yes.  These are his parents, after all.   Monday makes a week that he left.

Sunshine misses her Daddy.  A lot.  He missed more than half of her life by the time she was 4.  That's a significant amount of time to miss.  Especially when it's your only child.   

Yesterday my heart broke for those poor families who were torn apart in Connecticut.  I'm not going to get on my soapbox about anything regarding it other than if you have a heart, keep this community in your prayers, thoughts, vibes, whatever you do.   I'm convinced there's a special place in hell for anyone who would knowingly kill a child, mentally disturbed or not.

In the midst of so much sadness I found myself at school for Sunshine's Drama Kids presentation.  Our principal & his wife were there as their oldest is in Sunshine's group.  We were talking before the kids got started & he confided in me that Sunshine told him that she missed her Daddy.  

My heart, which had already been torn apart all day, was truly broken.  I managed not to cry but it makes me so sad that my poor girl is missing her Daddy.  Hasn't she spent enough time away from him in her little life?  I know kids are resilient.  She's shown me that time & time again.  I know she'll be okay but still,  my poor sweet girl.  I hurt when she hurts.  I hate that he missed her Christmas Show.  He'll get to see it on DVD but it's not the same as being there.

I don't blame Hunter for going to help his parents---I would do the same thing for my Mom.  It's the least we can do for our families.

But I wish I had a magic wand to make her sadness go away.


1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?

    I look forward to hearing from you,

    Emily

    ReplyDelete