Thursday, September 24, 2009

Knitting to follow, I hope

We're in full house mode now. Honestly, I don't even know that I've thought about knitting in days. No, that's not true, I've looked at friends projects on Ravelry. I've looked at my stash & needles & am thinking they'll go over to the new house soon (we close TOMORROW!!!!). I'm debating purging some of my stash & library of books/magazines whenever I make it back to Knitting Group. But all thoughts go back to the house.

The painter comes tomorrow. After painting Sunshine's closet ourselves (Hunter started & I finished), we realized that while there are certain home renovation things we enjoy doing, painting isn't really one of them. I'm fine w/ painting the interior of a wall--you know, after someone's taped everything & painted the perimeter for me. So anyway, we hired a painter. He's doing Sunshine's room (from blue to pink --Behr Delicate Bloom), the hall between her room & the guest room, the guest room, living room (Behr Wilmington Tan) & our bedroom (Behr Witch Hazel). The wallpaper in the kitchen will be peeled off after we've unpacked & settled in a bit & then we'll paint (Valspar Fog of London all over & then Val. Grecian Urn below the chair rail in the eat in part).

The movers come on Monday to do the heavy pieces. After packing all these boxes, transporting them ourselves to the new house & unpacking, I've decided that we deserve a break. The next day the cleaners come to the apt & the day after that we have our walk through.

Speaking of the walk through, what a pain in the neck!! I'm fine with the fact that it needs to be cleaned, nail holes in the walls need to be filled in. We already know about the mini-blinds. But I draw the line at cleaning the carpet that they are going to rip up for the next tenant. In their perfect world (which isn't the same as my perfect world), they have you pay THEIR suggested carpet cleaner $65 to steam clean your carpet. Then they rip it up as per GA law for new tenants. So, why exactly are we shelling out money for something that's going to be trashed? When I asked the woman in the maintenance office she didn't have an answer & asked if she could "get back to" me. Hunter's been here for 10 years (unheard of in the Army). There have been 3 dogs here, 2 of which were puppies when they came to live here, there's been a baby who grew into a small child. Miles were walked on this carpet. So when she asked if it looked worn I had to laugh. What 10 yr old carpet doesn't?? We know they're not using premium quality here. I'd be shocked if they did. We've kept up with cleaning it as we have a carpet steamer but still. 10 yrs old.

So the decision they came to was that while we didn't have to pay to have it cleaned, we would be charged a $65 replacement fee IF the floor below shows signs of pet damage. They don't let you in here when they're pulling up the carpet so we're to take them at their word. Pardon me for being cynical, but I'm willing to bet that we're going to get a bill for $65 sometime in the next month.

While packing & moving have been exhausting, they've also been very liberating. I've been able to purge stuff that we don't use, haven't used & will never use again. Hunter & I enjoy movies & when we got married, discovered how many VHS tapes we had (it was when DVD's were becoming more affordable). We relegated them to the guest room (now Sunshine's room) storage under the vanity next to the sink. I'll be honest, I've put off cleaning up under there because I was afraid. Very afraid. Last night I conquered my fear & went where VHS tapes go to die. 30 minutes later I was done. There were 8 (4 but double bagged) ForceFlex bags filled to capacity with VHS tapes. 3 of the bags held commercially produced tapes, 1 was trash. They're going to a woman on the Columbus Freecycle board along with one of our VCRs. We're keeping the other one as our old video camera did super 8 tapes & well, there are some videos of Sunshine that I have to keep!

So, after I meet VCR/VHS girl, I am off to Home Depot for paint & then to the liquor store for more boxes. Today's packing tasks are our toiletries & hopefully a little cleaning of our closet.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You have so much going on and it is so exciting. I will tell you that I am exausted just reading all you have had to do. I did the cleaning out of VHS tapes a while back and it was scary. I kept the ones that were related to the kids growing up but I gave all the Disney ones to Jo. I know once all the work is done you all are going to be loving the house. I agree about the carpet, crazy, and I bet you get the bill, again crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we moved last year I was 8 months pregnant and not able to do much. While it was a physically easy move mentally it sucked because I felt so bad that hubby had to do 98% of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! And a lot of work! I hope everything goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete