Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The one with the mini blinds.

Without getting all political, let me just say that I stopped shopping at Walmart a while back. Anything I needed I could get at the commissary (grocery-wise), Target or elsewhere.

Until yesterday.

We're trying to replace the mini blinds that have met w/ Sunshine or Libby. Our complex charges you $25. per mini blind that they have to replace. For the vinyl el-cheapo ones. Twenty-five dollars. I'm sorry, but that's a skein of Tilli Thomas!

We needed to replace 3 blinds, which isn't horrible considering we have about 10 windows in here. So I measure the blinds that are in there now. I measure twice. Hunter joins me in the measuring activity. I write down the measurements (36 x 64) & head to Target the next morning.

Target disappoints me by being out of the size I need. What to do? I caved & went to Walmart. We're leaving this place, why do I want to put lots of money into replacing things when I have a house that is crying for me to paint 3 bedrooms, a living room & to replace the wallpaper. I'd much rather invest my money into something that is *mine*.

I find the size we need at Walmart & head home. Only the size I need isn't the right size. The blinds are too wide. I know you're asking how. Believe me, I was too. We measured once, twice, THRICE! We're not idiots. We can read. The tape measure said 36 inches. Nope, too wide. So, off to Walmart to exchange the offending items. We have 4 Walmart stores w/in 10 miles of our house. (Can you say "oversaturated market"??). I go to the closest one only to discover that too bad, so sad--they don't have the size I need.

Fine, be that way. I stop at store #3 & pick up the blinds. Get home (after picking up Sunshine at school) & take the blinds out of the box only to discover---say it with me---they don't fit--they're too SHORT!

I think those of you who know me know that I really can read, I can function in society, can read a map, and I sure as heck can read a tape measure. And, if for some bizarre reason, I couldn't then certainly Hunter could.


I admit, I cursed at this point. No one heard me. Okay, maybe the dog. The thing I love about her is that she keeps all my secrets.

So today I went to Walmart for trip #4, returned the now-cursed blinds. I venture to the blind aisle (because I can tell you where they are in 3 different Walmarts in the greater Columbus area!) only to discover. . .

they have a 34" x 72" mini blind in white but they are 10 dollars. Now, I'm by no means cheap. Please, my stash speaks for itself.

But when the 36" x 64" blinds are $4, surely the 34" x 72" shouldn't be more than twice that price.

But they are.

I text Hunter. Apparently my texts are special because he knew I was hysterical at this point. Bless his heart, he suggests going to Home Depot (our new home away from home). Fine, I say, as I can also get paint samples.

Home Depot doesn't disappoint me (except for the self-check out machine, but that's another blog entry) & I head home with 3 34"x 72" mini blinds in white. The bedroom blind slides right in & looks all spiffy. The two for the living room & foyer are impossible to open so they go to the "honey do" list for Hunter.

Tonight after dinner he starts replacing them as I'm folding laundry. The living room opens for him (whatever) & is replaced. He gets the foyer window one open only to find out that . . . wait for it. . . the foyer window ISN'T 34" wide. It's 31"

Tomorrow morning after I drop Sunshine off at school I'm going back to Home Depot. Sunshine doesn't like the paint color for her room so I need another paint sample. And the blessed mini blind.

The best thing about the new house? The only mini-blinds are in the guest bedroom & kitchen. And I may get rid of them purely as a matter of principle!

6 comments:

  1. I am smiling and shaking my head in total understanding both of the Wal-Mart feeling and the mini blind debacle. How is it that you can never find the right size and when you think you do then they are out of it or it is the wrong color. I do have to say I have never had one that was apparently in the wrong box. Good luck today on getting everything done. Congrats on the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey I would have been cursing after the first mishap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'll all be over soon and you'll be in YOUR house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, your mini-blind ordeal is just as humorous reading it in your blog as when you were telling me about it the other day! And, for the record, the dog isn't the only one that heard your curse!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol...in a sad kinda way. You poor thing! I hope you get it all fixed up soon...so you can focus your time and attention on the new house...and of course, your knitting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mini blinds are the debil. I hates them. Hope all is nice and shiney in the new house! :D

    ReplyDelete