Tuesday, January 10, 2012

One trend I wish would go away

I've been on FB for a few years now.  I've learned to watch what I say because you never know who's reading what you type.  I've learned to watch what you post in pictures because there are pervs out there who prey on kids after looking at them on FB profiles.  I'v learned that there are people who use FB as a mouthpiece to brag about their (seemingly) perfect lives, children, etc.  I've learned that there are people who use FB as a mouthpiece to bemoan all that is wrong with their lives.  I've also learned that there are people who use FB as their political/religious/cause du jour soapbox.

I'm a firm believer that your status is your business & if people don't like it, well, sorry but it's YOUR status.

I've blocked people whose statuses are continually annoying---excessive hatred of this political candidate or that candidate.  People who do nothing but spew hatred toward others.  People who cannot accept that while life may be hard, there ARE days that are good.  That there IS a silver lining.

I recently had an extended family member inadvertently attack my religious beliefs.  At least, I hope this status wasn't directed at me personally.  Honestly, I don't think it was.  They declared the Catholic church to be full of lies and implied that those who believed those "lies" were to apologize to Jesus & they would be forgiven.

I admit that I am not a practicing Catholic.  In fact, I am a divorced Catholic remarried to a sort of Baptist.   I'm torn about confronting this person because I won't want to make a big stink about something they posted on their own status page.  But I really want to let them know that I find their words offensive. Personally offensive.   If I were Jewish would it be okay to tell me that I was "wrong" (insert choice of vocabulary here) for not believing that Christ is the son of God?  And should we choose to raise Sunshine in the Catholic faith, will I have to sit in judgement of this person's views?  Will they tell Sunshine that SHE'S wrong in what she believes?  I really hope not as I really would like to avoid confrontation with this person at all costs.  And I really don't want them out of our lives for something so ridiculous as their inability (assumed inability) to control themselves when it comes to my faith.

With the election season upon us, I'm sure that I'll be ignoring more status updates.  I just hope there are fewer attacks on what I've been taught to believe.  It makes going to people's homes to visit very uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment