Thursday, January 26, 2012

I need a wife or maybe a cabana boy.

Seriously.  I know you're thinking "but Laurie, you're a SAHM---why do you need a wife?  And furthermore, you don't have a cabana---why the cabana boy?!" Believe me, I've said the same thing.

Last month, Hunter had his ankle surgery to repair damage that was done over his military career.  It's not good when the surgeon can't believe the size of a tendon.  Or was it the ligament?  Anyway.  And the bone spur.

So, like most men (sorry guys, you know it's true!), he's not the best of patients.  Add to the fact that he was a combat medic & has more than his fair share of medical knowledge, well yeah--not a good patient.  To the point where he felt well enough to not wear his boot, not use his crutches, etc.

Two weeks ago, he was up before I brought Sunshine to school & was planning on running some errands.  I'm still not sure if he tripped, stumbled, did whatever but there was a very strange, loud popping noise.  I thought he hit his foot/ankle on the sideboard but no.  It was this freakishly loud noise that came from inside his ankle.  I know, it's still icky to me too.

He went back to the doctor & they decided to put a cast on him to provide stability & protection to his ankle.  Which means crutches, and no driving.

Which brings us to today.  I'm used to doing stuff around the house---cooking, cleaning, etc.  I've done it as a temporary single mom thanks to numerous deployments/TDY/ etc.   Hunter & I will both tell you that I have massive control issues & even allowing him to do certain chores after he'd come home from being gone.   It's hard going from being the only one who can do things to having help.  What's really hard right now is having the help only the help isn't very helpful.  Which makes him feel really guilty.  And that's not fair.

So, I need a wife.  Or a cabana boy.  I need someone who doesn't mind getting up 17 times to be the one to let the dogs out, run empty glasses into the kitches, get a snack, get another drink, let the dogs back in, unload the dishwasher, carry the laundry to the laundry room.  Or this week's chore:  steam clean the carpets.   Seriously, I couldn't have done this prior to him having surgery?   What was I thinking?  Anyway, the hallway, Sunshine's room, & the dining room are done.  I'm trying to figure out when will be the best time of day to do the living room--maybe before she goes to bed so we're not walking on it too much & it can dry overnight.   I can't wait until we're able to put hardwood flooring in the dining & living rooms!

Book Fair is coming along nicely.  This week I got our website done (easy peasy thanks to Scholastic), got the letter home written---along with a handy send back in volunteer form (again thanks to Scholastic), got the letter copied (600 copies, more or less) & got the letters home stapled to the flyer (thanks to my friend Kim). I need to get the sign up sheets for the teachers up late next week & have a workshop next week (complete with lunch--thanks to Scholastic).  Sunshine is excited that there is a new Magic Tree House book coming out about Abraham Lincoln.  I'm so glad she's enjoying this series---Hunter & I enjoy them too!

So, back to the crutches/cast thing.  It's throwing a damper in our activities choices.  I was hoping to go up to Callaway to the Butterfly Center this weekend but it's got a stairs & tends to get crowded.  Not the best scenario for him.  He goes back to the doctor on Tuesday so hopefully he'll be upgraded (downgraded?) to the boot & no crutches.  Let's hope anyway!

1 comment: