Saturday, January 14, 2012

Saturday, just Saturday.

Our first week back to school went well---getting up at 6/6:30 was difficult as we were used to getting up after 8 for 2 1/2 weeks but over all things were good.  Tuesday was our first day back & the kick off for AR Celebration Week.  I had 2 other moms helping me to blow up 137 balloons (at least I think that was the final tally) for the parade.  Luckily the school has a helium tank otherwise I would have needed more than 2 volunteers!  I may or may hot have forgotten to take the nozzle off the tank which could have been very.very.bad.  Thankfully, it wasn't!

Hunter has class on Tuesday evenings this semester so Sunshine & I will have Girls Night once a week.  This week she wanted to stay in & eat off our "fancy plates" in the dining room.  Not sure what we'll be doing this coming week as the following night is a Spirit Night at Chick Fil-A for school & while I don't mind eating out two nights in a row, we're trying to be a little more frugal.

Wednesday I spent the entire day at school for Treasure Box Day.  Every child gets a chance to come into the library & get a goody out of the box if they have taken at least 1 AR test during the semester.  It's funny to see some of the things kids choose.  Some are looking for really good things, others are happy with gum.  We had some books & posters in addition to the usual Oriental Trading tchotchke stuff so the 5th graders who got to come first were very excited.  We even had two teachers donate from their goody stash.  Which reminds me, I need to write thank yous to them.

Thursday was my favorite day of AR Celebration Week---Hair & Face Paint Day.  I admit to having zero artistic ability so face painting & I don't really get along, but I had two moms who are very artistically gifted who were able to really wow the kids with some of their designs.  I choose to spend my time outside with the hair paint.  Yes,  the weather can be really hot or really cold.  Yes, the aerosol fumes are killer at times.  Yes, the kids were saying how cold the hair paint was.  But holy cow, did we have fun.  Sunshine's hair was pink w/ gold sparkles.  Some kids chose 2 toned stripes, some chose full head of color.  It's great to walk the halls & see all these kids w/ crazy colored hair.

Friday was my easy day.  Which was good because we over slept (up at 7:15!) & then I conked back out for an hour after Sunshine went to school.  On time, thankyouverymuch.  I got to school around 11, made some copies for the PTA President, got those distributed & then grabbed lunch before the "Lunch & A Movie" day with the kids.  We watched Jack & The Beanstalk which was very cute.   Our Supreme Bookatarian tries to find movies that 1) will meet the G rating guidelines for viewing in school w/out a permission slip & 2) the kids haven't seen a hundred times.   I can honestly say this movie is definitely a must see.

We've had a nice Saturday today.  Sunshine went to Starbuck's with Hunter for breakfast while I did some laundry.  Then she & I went on a furniture mission for her AG doll.  After reading various doll forums, I've learned that doll furniture/accessories can be had at various crafting stores.  So, we headed to Hobby Lobby where we found a straw hat for her doll.  It needs a little decorating with some ribbon before it'll be ready to wear.  Sadly, no furniture.  We then went to Joann's where some forum members have said they've found things.  Nope.  No such luck.  Which is fine because I really don't like Joann's.  Their store used to house our AC Moore.  Which I loved.  When I started knitting again in '04, I bought my needles & yarn there for the hat I made for Sunshine.   I was seriously sad when they closed so Joann's could come in.  We then went to Michael's where we found some unfinished wooden trunks which I told Sunshine would be very cute to hold her AG doll's earrings or other accessories.  And that we could paint it or stain it.  Nope.  She wouldn't want that.  Sadly, they didn't have any unfinished chairs or anything either.  They did have a little wooden planter box with dividers that I've seen people have painted & used to replicate this.  Granted, it wouldn't have the doll holder section in the back but that's fine.  It's $10 vs. $85.   What did my child do?  Tries to barter with me.  "Mommy, if you buy me this little bouquet, I'll let you buy the shelves."   There are certain things that I will barter with her on, but not this.  We left without the planter, but I'll buy it this week & fix it up for her birthday.

We had lunch at the always yummy Johnny's pizza, hit up our Goodwill store (again, people are finding AG stuff here) but apparently our store doesn't have that much good will.  Get it?  Hee!

While we were at lunch we talked about the need to hoe out some of Sunshine's toys.  She's an only child who has a.lot. of toys.  She's a kid---she's not at an age where getting clothes will excite her.  She's also the only granddaughter on my side & Hunter's mom's only granddaughter as well.  She's spoiled.  There, I said it.

So we agreed that we'd pitch stuff that was broken (a Barbie bicycle comes to mind), missing parts or just not really usable anymore.  Any toys that she wasn't playing with that much anymore could either go up into the attic for safe keeping.   I'm really proud of her for agreeing to pitch stuff & stuff to go up into the attic.  Her room & play area in the nook in the kitchen look much better.

Tonight has been all about football, specifically the Pats game.  Obviously, being a New England girl, I'm a New England sports fan, except the Bruins.  I'm a Montreal fan.  Dad was too.  So far the game's been great but I'm cautious.  35-7 is a nice lead but again---cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment