Saturday, January 1, 2011

The year of selfish & 2 other resolutions

A couple weeks ago I was at Starbucks with Kristine enjoying coffee & knitting. She told me that 2011 would be her year of selfish knitting. Yes, she'd still make gifts for people, but the majority of her projects would be for her.

Knitting for one's self? What's that you say??

I'm a total gift knitter. It's rare lately that I make something for myself. My beloved Koigu KPPPM scarves? All gifts.

This year, I'm going to copy Kristine & become a selfish knitter. After I finish the scarves for Sunshine's teacher & para pro!

A week or so ago, my friend Jami mentioned on Facebook that she was considering doing a 365 project. I've been interested in doing one ever since my friend Holly did a 365 photo project. There were days where she was too tired to take a picture, worried whether it was project-worthy or just plain didn't want to do it.

I'm going to attempt to do this & debated where to share it. Here? Facebook? Flickr? Fotki? Where? Not everyone who reads my blog has access to my FB page. If you're not my friend, you don't have access to my page. But, the idea of a blog post a day, even if it's just a picture, seems like a lot. I don't know if even my followers want to read that much. Do you?

My other resolution is to eliminate the drama mamas from my life. You know who they are---the ones who aren't happy unless there is some sort of chaos going on around them. The ones who continually stir the pot. They bug me. They make me get stabby & nutty & really that's not fair to me or to my family. I'm able to hide the stabby & nutty from Sunshine, but Hunter bears the brunt of it. Things like "Why do you let her get to you?" & "She insane, you know this." get said. I'll sigh & silently fume about the crazy.

So this year, the crazy's going bye-bye.


In other news, the ILS are visiting us for New Year's. They arrived on Thursday and a whirlwind of activity followed: a girl's lunch for MIL, Sunshine & I followed by The Polar Express at The Infantry Museum on post. (It's a tradition we started last year--just the girls go to the movie). This year we spent a little time looking at the Family Support Gallery (where we saw a beautiful picture of Julia Compton Moore who was the Grandmama to my friend Alida as well as the most inspirational Army wife, ever. Military families today still benefit from her hard work. We also spent a little time in the exhibit dedicated to the war on terrorism, including OIF & Afghanistan.

A semi quick trip to the commissary followed & I feel the need to apologize to MIL as grocery shopping with me is a sprint. I don't want to be in there longer than necessary & I shop with blinders on. I'm sure it's akin to being with a drill sergeant. GO GO GO! NO, NO Ice cream cake---we don't need it--GO GO GO!!!

Hunter & I fixed dinner, wine was consumed & we had Christmas 2.0. Have I mentioned what a good girl I've been this year? I have. Outrageously so!

Yesterday MIL & I had a girl's afternoon---shopping, lunch, more shopping. We fixed a late dinner which is our (Hunter's & mine) tradition for New Year's Eve---late supper (10 pm or so) followed by champagne. I held the ILS hostage and forced them to wait until the ball dropped. Then I opened the door to usher our 2010---something I started on New Year's Eve in '05 after a horrible year where Hunter was deployed for the entire year.

Today we're planning a trip to Callaway (FIL is on a quest for their muscadine sauce), but the rain is making things difficult. Worst case scenario, we'll hit the Butterfly Center & the Country Store for the sauce & lunch.

Hopefully I get my daily pic there!

And, I hope 2011 is filled with health, happiness & prosperity for you & yours!

5 comments:

  1. I hope MIL survived grocery shopping with you. I've been there before, it's rather scary.

    Since you are doing the Project 365 w/me. I'll do the not getting stabby & nutty with you. I think we both have people in our lives that make us this way, and we can really do without it.

    Hope 2011 is a wonderful year! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The awesome thing about MIL (there are many, but this particular one) is that her mom was a Virgo, so she gets my particular brand of nuttiness!

    We'll share the stabby/nutty with one another if need be. I'm just sick of those people whose lives are incessant D-R-A-M-A. And I'm sick of allowing them to get to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drama--can't stand it. Kudos for your "selfish knitting" and for committing to the 365 project. Both are great projects for the new year. The first, because your worth it. The second, because I can't wait to enjoy your pictures. ;p

    Happy New Year, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to point out that I comment on your letting one particualr crazy get to you all.the.time! I hope you are adding her crazy onto your no drama list!!!

    Please knit me a scarf. Kthnxbai!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying your photos on facebook. Do you remember me doing the weekly blog of photos? Then it's a blog entry that highlights your week. Something to consider.

    ReplyDelete