Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Things I love, things I hate

Like this picture---love the way our pear tree looks when it's in full bloom. When those blossoms fall on the ground? Ugh.

I'm a lip balm addict. You will find tins of Smith's Rosebud or Strawberry Lip Salves in my purse, makeup bag, bathroom, nightstand, and in a drawer in the end table in the living room. I'm pretty sure there are more stashed away somewhere. I had to stop keeping them in my car as they'd get melty when the car got hot. And if they were upside or weren't level, they'd reform in a weird shape.

I love Aveda hair products (we've talked about this in another blog post). I go back and forth with other brands but will always come back to Aveda. There's something about that smell that always hooks me.

I'm also a Philosophy girl. This after years of working for Lauder (and several of their subsidiaries) and Lancome. My routine is very simple & honestly, at 43--my skin looks great. I know part of it is genetics, part of it is taking care of my skin since I was a teen & part of it is freakishly obsessive daily sunscreen use. I love their kits---face wash, eye cream, serum & moisturizer for the price of another brand's moisturizer? No brainer there!

I love Chico's. I've been a customer for 20 years & while I don't love all their clothes, will nearly always find things that fit & look good. I wore their Travelers Collection during my pregnancy with Sunshine. I may mix in some Target t's & shorts but Chico's---love!

I'm a purse snob. I love my Lancel bag from Paris. Love my 10 year old Prada bag bought on clearance in Montreal. Love my Kate Spade. And I'm one of "those" people whose bag & wallet HAVE TO match. My friends mock me for it but it's just my thing. And I blame my old Coach days for this. When you shop the Coach outlets they make it too easy for you to have everything all matchy-matchy.

I hate flip flops. I can't wear them. I can't wear any sort of sandal that has something between my toes. It bothers me to no end. It' makes my friend Jami cry when I admit this, so Jami---skip this part.


I hate when you buy a mascara only to find the wiper doesn't take off all excess mascara so you have to do so with a tissue. I find this with a lot of cheaper brands. Which are the ones I buy. After not paying for mascara for years (courtesy of my product gratis during my makeup artist years), I refuse to pay $25 or more for a product that I'll toss after 2 months. I'd rather put that money into something else, so I go cheap. And really---why IS department store mascara $25 dollars?? When I started working for Lancome in '93, a tube of Definicils was $15. It's $25 now. Lauder's More Than Mascara has gone from $14 or so to $21. Yes, inflation, blah blah blah. But really? Total racket. And I admit, I was part of that racket for many years.

There are also products that claim to be "as good as" a more expensive counterpart. The Sonia Kashuk hair brush is supposed to be "as good as" the Mason Pearson brush. So not true. Money wasted on my part right there!

It irks the holy hand grenades out of me when people try to top you. You know who the toppers are. You say something like "holy cow, I was so sick this weekend!" They come up with "OMG, I was at the ER near DEATH!" Or "I'm so busy this week with x, y, z---I'm really tired!" They're busy with q, r, s, t, u, v AND your x, y, z". What is up with that? I'm all about someone sharing their frustrations or whatever & someone else commiserating with them, but the toppers? Gotta go. Like the drama mamas, I don't need them in my life.

Right now I'm really down on the government---Congress specifically. There are so many people whose lives will be impacted financially if there is a shut down. My family will be impacted. We've heard that Social Security payments will continue but haven't heard anything about VA/Army retirement pay. Or CRSC payments. People who work in the private sector go to work, do their jobs (or not) & get paid. Yes, there are lay offs, cut backs, etc. But as long as the company is bringing in money, they'll get paid. Government employees, our military & veterans are at the mercy of the government.

And speaking of government employees, get those WI senators back to work. I think it's great they're taking a stand for what they believe, but your constituents elected you for a reason. If THEY feel you should be off hiding in Illinois, then great--party on. Otherwise, get back to work & do the job you were elected to do. ****PLEASE KNOW THAT THIS IS MY OPINION. IF YOU DON'T SHARE MY OPINION, THAT'S FINE. I RESPECT YOUR OPINION, PLEASE RESPECT MINE. I DON'T MEAN TO START A POLITICAL DEBATE, NOR WILL I ENGAGE IN ONE ON THIS BLOG. Thank you ;)

It's a beautiful day here---one of those that I love---sunny skies, trees blooming (remember to take that zyrtec!) and in the low 60's for a high. Sweater weather!!!!!

Enjoy your day wherever you are!




1 comment:

  1. I love you, even though you are a purse snob and hate flipflops! :)
    I thought about you when I walked by the Chicos store the other day. I may have to start buying from there. I'll see your x,y,z and raise it by 1, 2, and 3! Those people get on my nerves, too. It's almost like, 'This one time when we were stationed at.....'
    As far as mascara goes, I like Maybelline Colossal Volum'... and I'm pretty picky about mascara.

    ReplyDelete