Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Showing some love

Sunshine's showing her Vermont love & support today with her UVM t shirt. 

Seven Days is  a weekly newspaper in the Burlington, VT area (my friend Diane has been on staff for years) that is a must-read for people in Chittenden County.  They have a great list of how you can help the people of Vermont.

I admit, I've been consumed by looking at imagines & videos of the devastation.  Roads I've traveled are gone.  Historic bridges have been swept away.  People are cut off,  towns have been cut in half.  Vermonters are strong people---you've got to be in order to survive a Vermont winter.  A blizzard that would cripple other states isn't cause for concern for these people.  Hardy stock aside, the flooding & devastation aren't something they're used to.  Moving 100+ inches of snow in a season?  Not a problem.

The town of Pittsfield is about an hour & a half away from where I grew up.  It's a very small town--less than 500 people.  Are they sitting around feeling sorry for themselves?  Hardly! They had a barbeque.  How awesome is that?   My friend Amanda (herself a hardy stock New England girl!) commented to me earlier in the week about Yankee ingenuity.  I think Pittsfield (and the rest of the state) truly embody this.

So while my heart is sad for my home state, deep down I'm proud of them.   Hang in there, VT!

1 comment:

  1. I think about you every time I see or hear Vermont mentioned on the news. I love that little communityhad a barbeque. That is awesome, indeed.

    ReplyDelete