Saturday, September 24, 2011

Randomnessy goodness (what? it's a word)

We were planning on going to the Peanut Festival in Plains, GA today but the putterings around the house have overtaken us & after 2 loads of laundry, some cleaning, unloading the dishwasher, playing Barbies & reorganizing a dollhouse, we're finishing lunch & watching some SEC football.

It's Pumpkin Spice Latte season which is really the best season of the year---the weather starts to cool down (by cool I mean 90) & it's football season.  I'm not a huge college football fan but will watch if nothing else is on. And we all know how much I love my Patriots.  The habit of ordering pizza on the day of a 4pm game while Hunter was deployed (lazy mom, much?!) is still alive & well.  So much that I've renamed the order on Papa John's site as "Game Day" because really, let's call a spade a spade.

PTA's still sucking up so much of my time---most of which I don't mind.  Book Fair went well, we're in the midst of selling raffle tickets for Fall Festival & I'm starting to get a little nervous about our class' basket for FF.  No one has gotten back to me.  Parents that is.  I'm going to do a little leg work this week & drop off some donation letters to locally owned restaurants in hopes of getting some donations from them.  I was so spoiled last year by my co-room mom who did everything for the basket.  Next year I'm hoping that I'll have another mom who'll step up & help me out.

My knitting mojo is back!!! I know I'm tempting fate by admitting this, but it's true.  Granted I've done a mess o' dishcloths but still, knitting is knitting!  I also made the neatest scarf--the   Edelweiss Neckwarmer.  I altered the pattern by CO 220 stitches & wound up using 1 1/2 skeins of Noro Colored Crack, I mean,  Silk Garden.  I love this yarn---little twigs & all.  The scarf wound up being around 50" long which is just a little too short for my tastes.  Even with blocking.  But it is gorgeous--Hello! Silk Garden! Duh!  I'm looking forward to wearing it this winter!  I'm thinking I need to try to find another skein so I can make some mittens or mitts to match.   According to Ravelry, I have one more full skein but didn't see it when I was looking at my wool stash.

Speaking of stash, I'm looking to destash some of my yarn.  I just have way too much & have some that I know I'm just not going to use.  I'm offering it up to my knitting group before listing on Ravelry and/or Ebay.  My only complaint w/ R & E is that I'm going to have to either charge shipping or cover it which really stinks.

I'm also making some great headway on Christmas shopping!  So far I have some things for Sunshine, the ILS are done, Mom is done & Hunter's nephew is done.  And I've done Mom's shopping for Sunshine as yesterday I drove to Opelika, AL to their Target as they had the Our Generation Wooden Doll Trunk (armoire) & the jeep.  Our store had both last week but are sold out now.  When I went online to order them I discovered that shipping for the 2 items was $25.  What happened to Target's free shipping on over 500k items??  I guess it's on the items that don't weigh more than 15 lbs.  Grrrrr.

Speaking of the ILS, we're hosting Thanksgiving this year!!  Which means that I have to have all their pressies  by then so they can bring them home with them.  We've already started planning sleeping arrangements,  what china we'll use (My name is Laurie & I am a china-holic.)--we have our china, Hunter's grandparents china (which is really for Sunshine but she won't mind us using it) & Christmas china.  Yeah, I really need a 12 step program for this stuff.  But anyway, sleeping, china, menus & a to do list of what needs to be done before they arrive.   We've been wanting to start using our dining room as an actual dining room rather than using the breakfast nook in the kitchen.  Which means I need to get off my butt & get the wallpaper below the chair rail removed, prep the walls & get painting.  We want to put in a wood floor but that might wait until spring.  Then will come the fun part of moving around furniture---including the realllly heavy kitchen table, the china cabinet & the Pottery Barn Kids style dollhouse/bookcase that Hunter made for Sunshine.  I think there might be room for everything, including the dollhouse for now.  It's such a great piece & Sunshine loves to play with it so it needs to stay.  If only she didn't have that Barbie Dream House in her room.  Hmmm, why do I do this to myself?

I have a PTA Board meeting tomorrow so maybe I do need to get my family moving this afternoon & out of the house. Hmmm, too late to go to Plains.  Maybe we'll head up to Callaway or bring the dogs to the Botanical Garden as it's only 80 out.  Cool enough to enjoy a walk without stroking out due to the heat.

Have a great weekend!!  Get out & do something!!

2 comments:

  1. The neckwarmer is wonderful. I cant believe you cast on over 200 stitches...wow.
    Im visiting all the blogs on DRT V today ! Im from Purls gone wild

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy!!!

    Don't you love DRT?? I may have to copy you & visit all the blogs---that sounds fun!

    I'm starting another Edelweiss inspired scarf but this one has 310 stitches! I like my scarves looooong! I'm changing the pattern from a 3 row repeat to a 4 row. I ripped it all out last night at knitting after I realized that it's too "airy" & I wanted something a bit more substantial. Technically, I guess it's not Edelweiss anymore!

    ReplyDelete