Monday, September 19, 2011

Slowly backing away from the crazy

how is it the crazy finds us?  This year, I've made a concerted effort to remove the drama mamas, toppers & the crazy from my life this year.  And it's really nice not having it around me.

But today it found me via a friend & fellow PTA mom.  Why do you ask?  Were we mean girls? Nope.  Were we clique-ish?  Hardly.

It started when PTA mom told another mom that their basket for our upcoming Fall Festival's silent auction needed a different theme as there were already 2 baskets with that same theme.  Okay, pain in the neck if you've never done a basket (some of these babies go for over $500), but really, not a big deal.

Unless you're drinking the crazy kool aid.

Then you get your panties in a bunch and start sending nasty grams.

Which is where I get dragged into the mix.  Only my name isn't Laurie.  She thinks I'm "Kristin".  Because they're so easy to confuse for one another, right?

Pardon the sarcasm, but really.  I can understand Laura, Lauren, Laurel, but Kristin?

Apparently kool aid drinking mom is upset because Kristin (let's play along, shall we?) didn't email her to remind her of the shifts she volunteered to work for Book Fair.

Reread that.  I'll wait.  Yes, you read it right the first time.  Let me add that I don't email anyone to remind them of their shifts.  Neither did the previous Chair.  Why?  Because we're dealing with adults who are parents, who schedule things for their families & generally have not one, but several calendars to remind them of goings on in their homes.

But, darn that Kristin!

So I took the high road & emailed this mom to apologize for not emailing her after working an 8 hour shift at Book Fair, doing Treasurer duties,scheduling volunteers for the school district's clothing bank (it was our school's turn),  taking care of any of my own room mom issues, supervising my daughter's homework, taking care of my home & husband.  And well, managing to take care of myself as well.  Oh, and I knitted a little.

What kills me about this woman's emails wasn't that she was angry that she never received an email.  But that she claims we are discriminating against her.  Discriminating.  As in singling her out.  You want to play the victim, fine.  Play the victim. But check your vocabulary.

And my name ISN'T Kristin.  It's Laurie.  Mrs. C, if you're crazy.  (Sorry, Janet Jackson---it had to be done!)

3 comments: