Friday, December 3, 2010

But we didn't register for glad ware!


When you get married in the Russell County (AL) courthouse, you get a gift from them. Yes, I am holding up a travel size deodorant, toiletries, a single use of laundry detergent & have one piece of glad ware on my lap! Where do they think you're going afterward???

Hunter & I were married 8 years ago on December 4th, 2002. Ten days after he came home from 6 months in Kuwait & 34 days before he would return to Kuwait in anticipation of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

I'm happy to say that we have spent more anniversaries together than apart (we were in the negative there for a while!) & had an amazing 5th anniversary trip to Paris (6 months after our anniversary as he was in Iraq for that one). I've decided that a special anniversary trip every 5 years would be great.

I thought the 8th anniversary (traditionally the bronze year, but also tourmaline (pretty!), and linens/lace for the more modern thinking couple) was boring as it's one of those inbetween years. Apparently I was wrong:


The number eight is considered particularly auspicious in Chinese culture because it sounds similar to the word for 'prosper' or 'wealth'. It is pronounced like "bah" in Mandarin (pinyin: bā).

infinityWe also like the visual aspect of the 8th anniversary because it is similar to the infinity symbol which is a happy thing to associate with the connection you have with your husband or wife.



We had a family celebration tonight----dinner out with Sunshine, followed by the evening out at a tree lighting ceremony. I remember the night before we were married--we had homemade chicken noodle soup with friends who were going to accompany us to the court house the next day. Funny the things you remember.

The next day we went to the court house for noon, went to lunch with our friend who was our witness/photographer and then home to celebrate our birthdays (Hunter missed them being overseas) as well as Christmas--we didn't know if he would still be home or not. We went out to dinner that evening & the next night had a small party with friends at our apartment.

Tomorrow night, Sunshine is staying over at a friend's house so we can have another date night (dinner & a movie). And Sunday morning to sleep in. Aaaah, heaven.

Happy Anniversary Hunter. I love you tons of gobs of bunches of oodles. You are my favorite & my best. And I'm so lucky to have you as my husband! xox

2 comments: