Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Note to self

Dear Self~

Kudos to you for getting your decorations up Thanksgiving weekend. And hey, all that volunteer work in Sunshine's class & in her school? Good job! Let people mock SAHM's, PTA volunteers & Room Moms all they want, but giving your time & energy allowed a lot of kids make keepsakes that their parents ( who weren't able to be in the classroom) will treasure for years to come. So much for SAHMs not contributing to the "greater good"

And the smiles & looks on your neighbors' & mailman's faces when you dropped off their pumpkin breads? Awesome. It's always nice to feel appreciated.

However. . .

the fact that you waited until the 22nd to mail out your family's gifts? Not.good. Yes, yes, I know you overnighted them, but still. I know your nephews will be thrilled w/ gift cards, but come on. Overnighting gifts smacks of amateur shopper/gift buyer/sucky out of state relative.

Let's get it together for next year, shall we?

Signed,

Me



Dear Me~

Thank you for your kind words of praise. I really felt good (and tired!) after my crazy time at school & am so glad I've gotten "involved" & turned into one of "those" moms. The hugs & cries of "Mrs. C!!!!!" that I get when I go into the classroom really make me feel good about what I'm doing. And when a parent who normally can't volunteer makes it into the classroom, the look on their child's face is absolutely priceless. Their face lights up & their energy is palpable. Suddenly that parent is elevated to superstar status in the eyes of the classroom.

I really should know better than to have to overnight anything. And you're right---so amateur. We've been thrown a bit of a monkey wrench into Christmas with FIL having the flu. The ILs were coming, then they weren't, then they're going to let us know. We started flirting with the idea of driving to VT. The logistics began to mess with my head. When would we leave? Where would we spend the night (not wanting to expose anyone to the flu, least of all me as a diabetic--very dangerous)? What gifts of Sunshine's would we bring? Would we tell my mom or would we just show up on say, Christmas Eve? How long would we stay? What? How?

We decided to stay here & that's when I started debating sending out gifts *after* Christmas, but that's just really sucky. And amateur.

So I apologize for the overnighting action. Next year's goal (should we not go to VT) is to have gifts for my family purchased by 1 December (if not earlier) & shipped out shortly thereafter (if not earlier).



BTW, tell your husband to get the leaf blower out & do something about the leaves in the backyard. They're starting to bug me.

And have fun tonight w/ the girls at dinner/drinks. You've earned it!!

Signed,

Laurie

1 comment:

  1. It's the thought that counts, and I'm impressed that you over-nighted them! I think if it were me, I would have let them arrive late and blame the postal (or shipping) service.

    Merry Christmas to you, Hunter & Sunshine!

    ReplyDelete