Tuesday, December 7, 2010

January Redux?

I'd like you to go back & read this blog post from January. I'll wait.

It seems 2010 is going out the way it came in. ER visits for both Sunshine as well as Hunter. Last Sunday evening I had Sunshine in the bathtub when she started telling me things didn't feel right, were hurty & answered my questions about her general health. We decided an ER visit was in order. Four hours later we were on our way home with a prescription for Bactrim for a UTI.

Yesterday I decided I was going to knit night @ Panera. I haven't been since late summer as Hunter had a class on Monday nights. I know I could have brought Sunshine with me, but it's not easy to keep an eye on her, make sure she behaves & knit. Plus, that's MY time with friends.

We helped Sunshine with her homework for the week & I went into the kitchen to start winding a skein of yarn for a project for the crossing guard on The Path (the rear exit from the school leads down to a street). Hunter had left dishes in the sink from Sunday evening & with being so busy yesterday, I didn't get them done. When I asked if he was going to do them, he jokingly replied "but that's women's work"

That Karma, she's a . . .

As I was arranging my skein of Koigu to find the beginning, Hunter started to wash the dishes. Suddenly there was a cry out, obscenities followed & the dance one does when one is hurt. We realize that he's practically cut off the tip of his finger. I'm panicky & queasy all at the same time. Phone calls are made to arrange for someone to watch Sunshine while we go to the ER. Luckily, the ER is slow on a Monday night.

Hunter was taken back almost immediately & he sent me to get something to eat (I hadn't eaten as I was planning on some yumminess from Panera). I find him in the ER & it's decided that I'll be more comfortable in the waiting area, so off I go to knit. And people watch.

There are some incredibly sad stories in the ER, like the couple from Sunshine's visit who had a 2 day old baby in need of a spinal tap. And last night's couple who was 5 wks pregnant & experiencing complications. I admit to crying & praying for both of them. All the while wanting to give them hugs.

Then there are the ones that make you go hmmmm. There's always a group of basic trainees who are so used to not having to think for themselves that answering the most basic of questions is a hardship for them. Bless their hearts---so many of them are babies--18 & 19 yr old kids who are away from home for the first time. Suffering from their first stomach bug away from mom's loving care, or a really bad cold w/out the comforts of their own bed.

Last night, a woman & her teenage daughter come in, having been referred by the local doc in the box. The daughter's got a headache, chills, sore neck, aches all over & mumble mumble mumble (I can't hear this part from where I'm sitting), they want her tested for Meningitis.

I realize there are very sick people in hospitals. I also realize Meningitis isn't contagious just by sitting in the same room as someone who has it, but I'm not taking chances! My sister died from it in 1970. Not the illness I want to be exposed to. And if you were the mother of a child who just might have it, wouldn't you walk to the far end of the waiting room? Far, far, far away from other people??

Then, there was the crazy lady. I'm not being mean--this was the woman who ran a running commentary on my wife & kids, or whatever show was on. Like a discourse with the characters. The best part was when she got up to ask the receptionist if she could please call back to the ER to see if anyone back there smoked & if so, could she please bum a ciggie from them.

Let that sink in. ER. Bumming a smoke. From the staff.

Amazingly enough, she got one. I thought about getting up & asking for a cocktail, but didn't want to press my luck.

About 3 hours after we got there, we left. Hunter has roughly 10 stitches & a follow up appointment on Weds to determine whether the flap (so icky to say) of skin will survive. There's a 50/50 chance it won't & they will have to (ick) remove it. (ick)

Today we're making Glitterific ornaments in Sunshine's class. I'm excited! I finally found the Pledge with Future Shine floor wax after going to 4 or 5 stores. I also made a prototype yesterday with little success. When I couldn't find the Pledge, I tried the ornament with Joann's Tacky Glue & glitter. Mess. More ick & lots of ugly. Neither the glue nor the glitter would spread inside the ornament. Did I mention these are glitter ornaments where the glitter will NEVER rub off on your hands???!! Love! This!

So, then I try glitter glue. Pour a generous amount into the ornament & start rolling, swirling, twirling. Nothing. Lumpy, barely moving glitter glue. At this point I'm getting panicky. I texted AM to find out exactly where she found the magical Pledge, because you know, she lives on the opposite side of the country so of course it'll be at the same store here. It was---Kmart. And I got a military discount (woo hoo!)

When Sunshine got home from school, we took ornament 2.0 out to the sun room. We spread some paper on the floor, plopped down & started the ornament making process. Pour floor wax into ornament. Swirl around to coat entire inside. Pour excess back into bottle. Pour glitter into ornament. Swirl around to coat entire inside. SUCCESS!!!!! We have a beautiful red glittery ornament! I'm running to Michaels to get more ornaments & some pink glitter. Sunshine's all about her pink! So, the week before Christmas, we'll make more ornaments. Hunter's suggestion was to mix the glitter colors. I think he might get in on this craft too---if he's healed up a bit.

So, 2010----thank you for the ending that was the same as the beginning. Please tell your friend, 2011, that we have fulfilled our ER visits & he need not expect any from us!

3 comments:

  1. Pictures!!! (of the ornaments, NOT Hunter's finger!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I may have to try the ornaments! They sound great. Of course, Hank will want green & blue.
    Hopefully Hunter's finger will heal quickly. He'll do anything to get out of dishes, huh? Gotta love that Karma, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yowsers! I'm so sorry that you had to endure 2 ER trips! Glad everyone is okay!

    ReplyDelete