Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I can't relax, 'cause I'm a Boinger!

(admit it, you miss Bloom County too! Who didn't love Billy & the Boingers?)


We're in full blown craziness here people. Today involved dropping off the popcorn (very generously donated by a local movie theater) at the library, quick meeting w/ Sunshine's teacher about the gingerbread houses we were building that afternoon, running home to knit a bit & then getting ready to leave. I ran to Winn Dixie (It's okay---I didn't need to go to the deli), grabbed a diet vanilla coke (a girl's gotta have some yumminess every day) & then got to school by noon. Two volunteers didn't show up.

I understand that people's time is very precious, especially at this time of year. I understand not everyone has the luxury of staying home (and yes, believe me--I realize it is a luxury), but you don't volunteer to show up to help in your child's class & just not show. It's not cool. It's not cool to the teacher who's expecting you. It's not cool to the other parents who are there helping all the kids. It's especially very NOT cool to your child who is watching the door, wondering when you'll come through.

So, yep it was just me & another girl's mom. Crafts with kids are not only fun, but they're educational as well. You get insight into what each child finds attractive. How their minds see the finished object, or whether they're just flying by the seat of their pants. Whether they're elaborate in their decorating or whether they're a minimalist.

It's educational because unless you've done the same craft with 20+ children, you have no clue on how to get it done in the time allotted. I've learned that, whenever possible, you ALWAYS label with the child's name before you begin. If your craft is an ornament with 2 pieces of felt that need to be glued together & the directions say to glue the string/ribbon to the back, throw out the directions, put the string/ribbon between the two layers & glue away. And when making 20+ gingerbread houses, the trick is to hot glue the graham crackers to the milk boxes prior to starting the project. Of course, we learned that little tid bit at 230 after the kids were done with school & we were planning for me to come back tomorrow morning with Sunshine to finish them w/ the 7 remaining kids.

Of course, if those other parents had shown up we would have finished on time, but I'm not bitter or anything.

So tomorrow is the day to finish up the gingerbread houses. And knit.

Thurs is face painting in the morning. And hopefully be done knitting so I can block the scarf. And make cupcakes.

Friday is hair painting followed by Sunshine's party at lunch time. I have all of my cupcake decorating stuff together & ready to go to school.

Saturday? I'm not doing a blessed thing!

I am proud to say that I managed to get my Christmas cards done on Sunday. Mailed out too, so that's one less thing to worry about. And I managed to find a gift certificate to a restaurant for my mom that needs to go into the mail ASAP. Which will probably be Saturday at this point.

Off to watch a little tv & knit before I crash.

No comments:

Post a Comment